The Elected Officials Education Program is offering a course on Municipal Finance on Friday October 21 in Penhold. Registration for this course is $425.
The course provides participants with a solid understanding of the core concepts involved in municipal financial management, accountability and reporting. Topics covered include short- and long-term financial decision-making, capital and operating budget processes, and financial condition analysis, reporting and risk evaluation.
- learn about the role of the auditor;
- explore how municipalities raise revenue through property assessment and taxation,
- user fees and rate structures;
- learn about financial oversight responsibilities and financial accountability of elected
- officials under municipal legislation;
- develop an understanding of effective municipal fiscal policies;
- understand how to read and interpret a municipal financial statement;
- learn how operating and capital budgets are prepared and administered;
- understand the difference between pay-as-you-go and debt financing strategies;
- learn about property assessment and taxation processes;
- understand the role of external auditors and learn to identify and mitigate financial risk.
Councillor Dach would like to attend this course.