County of St. Paul No 19

Council Meeting


Meeting #:
5015- 49 Avenue, St. Paul, AB T0A 3A4

In Camera items to be presented at the meeting.

In Camera

Representatives from the Lottie Lake Recreational Community Association will be in to request information from Council regarding the upgrade to Epcor water for their community.  Attached is a list of questions they are seeking clarification on - New Water Rates, Water Transmission Infrastructure and Historical Documentation.

Pierre deMoissac, Leo deMoissac and Robert Lajoie will be in to speak with Council regarding a land issue.

The Mannawanis Native Friendship Centre(MNFC) has been advised to expect a delay in core/core-like funding from the federal Government in the 2017-18 fiscal year.  They are preparing to enter into the next fiscal year without any federal core funding program in place.  The Alberta Native Friendship Centre Association is insisting that each Friendship Centre's Board of Directors develop a financial and operational risk management plan that will allow their Friendship Centre to maintain operations for a minimum of four months without core funding, starting April 1, 2017.  The MNFC has requested funding from the Town of St. Paul and will also be requesting funding from Saddle Lake, Kehewin and Goodfish Lake Cree Nations.  They are looking for total funding of $27,908.52 so they can maintain their operations at minimal service.  


Hinano Rosa, Executive Director with the Mannawanis Native Friendship Centre will be in to request financial assistance for their next fiscal year starting April 1, 2017.

The Dewberry and District  Ag Society replaced their ice hockey arena which was built in the mid 1960s.  They are nearing 90% completion on their Project and are looking for financial assistance to help fund the shortfall.

Total Project Cost$4,100,000
County Debenture$1,400,000
Fundraising$   800,000
Balance to be raised$2,100,000


They are asking for support from the County of St. Paul as there are County residents who play hockey out of the Dewberry Arena - approximately 22 families.  


As their facility was inoperable this year, they had 32 players playing out of other facilities but the teams were registered as Dewberry Minor Hockey teams - 4 of those players are from outside their minor hockey boundaries.  Their figure skating and Canskate program was also inoperable this year due to lack of facility and ice availability within the area, however, in 2015-2016 season they had upwards of 30 skaters.  They also have a men's team from the Heinsburg area, a Rec team for the past two seasons from north of the river as well as a ladies Rec team that draws players from a very large geographical area. 


The various contribution levels are outlined in the attachment.

The St. Paul Senior Citizens' Club is requesting a travel grant to be used in 2017.  They used the funds for educational and cultural trips throughout the year.  

The Mission of Protection for the Unprotected is to prevent child abuse through education and public awareness.  The funds raised at their Show and Shine in 2016 were donated to the local Victim Services.  They will be holding their third annual Show and Shine on Saturday July 22nd and are requesting to block off Main Street Ashmont during daylight hours - north of Railway Avenue, directly in front of Porky's BBQ pit.  They are also requesting to use the grass area looking down main street to erect two 20' x 40' tents for vendors and to set up an outdoor stage on the evening prior to the event.  

The 17th Annual Mountain Refresher Conference, hosted by the Society of Local Government Managers, will be held May 16-19, 2017 in Kananaskis.  This will be a good opportunity for the new intern, Kaitlyn Kenney, to attend.  Registration for the Conference is $599.

Kyle Attanasio has elected not to attend this year and is recommending that Kaitlyn attend in his place. 

A bursary application has been submitted in an effort to reduce subsistence costs. 

Dwyane Severin, is requesting to name Township Road 592 off from Highway 881 North, Severin Road.  Over the years, 5 generations have lived and still live along that road.


Mr. Severin has been informed that if his request is approved, he will be responsible to pay the full cost of the signs.

The first Action under Goal 1 - Governance of the Strategic Plan is "Host an Annual Meeting - move the annual meeting around the County - 2017 at Public Works Shop".  Council to set a date for the Annual Meeting.

Bylaw No. 2017-05, the Utilities Bylaw, is being presented to Council to update the current water rate structure to reflect rate changes recommended by Urban Systems following their water rate analysis provided in late 2016. Rates will take effect immediately upon third reading.

Bylaw No. 2017-06, Fee Schedule Bylaw, is being presented to Council to update the current fee Schedule Bylaw to reflect rate changes approved for Planning and Development and proposed changes for the ASB Department.  The proposed changes are in red. 


There are also several areas that will be deleted and moved into a "Penalties Bylaw" or moved back into the bylaw that they pertain to, where they originated from.  Those bylaws will also be presented at this meeting for approval.    


When this bylaw is approved, Bylaw No. 2016-22 will be repealed.

Bylaw No. 2017-07, the Noise Bylaw is being presented to Council with new wording referencing the Penalties Bylaw.

Bylaw No. 2017-08, the Fire Bylaw is being presented to Council with new wording referencing the Penalties Bylaw.

Bylaw No. 2017-09, the Cemeteries Bylaw is being presented to Council with new wording referencing the Penalties Bylaw.

Bylaw No. 2017-10, the Dog Control Bylaw is being presented to Council with new wording referencing the Penalties Bylaw.

Bylaw No. 2017-11, the Municipal and Reserve Lands Regulation Bylaw is being presented to Council with new wording referencing the Penalties Bylaw.

Bylaw No. 2017-12, the Corridor Regulation Bylaw is being presented to Council with new wording referencing the Penalties Bylaw.

Bylaw No. 2017-06, the Penalties Bylaw is being presented to Council to clarify the difference between fees and penalties, previously contained within the Fee Schedule Bylaw. The Penalties Bylaw will list only penalties.  

Bylaw No. 2014-03, which is a Bylaw to lease Lot 28ER, Block 2, Plan 8023220 will expire at the beginning of April.  The current lessee has passed away so the Scott Family Heirs are requesting to continue leasing the property represented by Mark Scott, great nephew to Gordon Scott and grandson to Ron Scott, the original lease holders.  


Bylaw No. 2017-14  is being presented to Council for approval for a three year lease on Lot 28ER, Block 2, Plan 8023220, to the Scott Family Heirs as represented by Mark Scott.


Section 676(1) of the M.G.A. allows Council to lease an environmental reserve property for a term of not more than 3 years.  The Bylaw must be advertised in accordance with Section 606 of the M.G.A. and a public hearing must be held in accordance with Section 230 of the M.G.A.

Based on discussions at the February 14 Council Meeting, the proposed amendment to Land Use Bylaw No. 2013-50 is being presented:  7.18  Keeping of Animals

The following table applies to all parcels within the Agricultural District which are less than 20 acres of land on which livestock are kept:

  1. Figure 3 – Animal Units Allowed Per 4 Acres

Animal Type

Animal Units

Animal Type

Animal Units

Cows (including calves)




Horses (including foals)








a.  For animal types with sub-species characterized as “miniature”, an animal unit is based on 1,000 lb live weight of the main animal type.

b.  Notwithstanding 7.18(1) above, no animals other than domestic pets and a maximum of 6 laying hens shall be kept on parcels less than one half (0.5) acre in size.

  1. No animals other than domestic pets and a maximum of 6 laying hens shall be kept on parcels within the General Urban, Country Residential One, Country Residential Two,  Light Industrial Residential, and Recreational Vehicle Districts.
  2. Livestock shall only be kept on parcels within the Agriculture District.

At the November Council Meeting, Leo VanBrabant, CEO with MCSNet, requested a variance on the tower setback from 9 meters as stipulated in the Land Use Bylaw to 1 meter from the north property line at Lot 37, Block 1, Plan 7622036.  He requested the variance because it is the only location on the property that can accommodate the tower.


Council requested that Mr. VanBrabant provide Planning and Development with a complete list of properties that will require a variance and then Council can address them all at the same time.  


Mr. VanBrabant has provided Planning and Development with two locations with towers that will require a variance

  • Lot 37, Block 1, Plan 7622036 in SW 31-60-11-W4
  • Lot 110, Block 2, Plan 7922205 in SW 14-57-10-W4


Attached is a proposed amendment to the Land Use Bylaw to address the towers requiring a variance.  Krystle Fedoretz will be in to review this item with Council.  

The 2016 Regional Strategic Plan update will be forwarded to Council on Monday.





CAO Report to be presented at the meeting.

A copy of the budget to actual will be presented to Council for review.

A listing of Accounts Payable will be provided for Council's review.

Council fees for the month of February will be circulated for Council's review.